Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Swagger Wagon

Let me paint a picture for you...

I was fresh off my LDS mission (I had actually been home for about a year) and looking for a car to purchase. I wasn't planning on getting married or having kids anytime soon, but I did figure that it was in the cards at some point. I was going to pay good money for this car and I wanted it to last me at least the next 10 years, so I did a lot of research. And when I say a lot, I mean A LOT. I scoured the internet for weeks reading about how to buy a car and what features I wanted and which ones I absolutely didn't. I really wanted a Subaru Forrester---that was the ideal---but I also knew that if I wanted to buy it used and with low mileage that it was still out of my price range. Other than low mileage, AWD/FWD, and trunk space to fit camping/climbing gear, one of my big requirements was that it would comfortably fit two carseats in the back. After a couple of trips to different dealers and private sellers I finally settled on the Suzuki SX4. It fulfilled every requirement I had for it and it looked great too! I even made triple sure that two carseats could fit in the back. Not because I had kids, but because I figured that in the next ten years I would probably have two kids and then "we" (my mythical family and I) would have saved up enough to buy a minivan and I would relinquish my "fun car" to my husband. That was the idea at least.


Her name is Suzy, and she's a champ



Fast forward 3 years and here I am married, with a 10 month old, AND twin girlies on the way. Ladies and Gentlemen, there is no way  to fit 3 carseats in the back of this car. I thought that I had been doing pretty well with this 10 year car plan, even with getting pregnant so fast a second time I figured it would be a couple years until we dared to have a third child and then we could reevaluate finances and determine if we could keep my suzuki and be a two car family.

I guess it's true what they say, "if you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans for the future"!

Honestly though, I wouldn't have it any other way. I love these girls so much already and I'm excited to have them join the family. We have had tons of adventures in that Suzuki and it's been an awesome car for our family. Admittedly, I will be very sad to see it go BUT I am also very excited to have a "swagger wagon". Automatic opening doors? yes please. Room for all the kiddos? definite must. Low enough clearance that I don't die putting the carseats in? absolutely.

With that said, tonight we venture out into the world to find ourselves a minivan. Wish us luck!

Also, I'd like to thank Toyota for making such an awesome commercial that has ultimately helped sway my husband into being excited (or at least okay) with driving a minivan.



P.S. if you or anyone you know is looking for an awesome adventure car that can fit two carseats in the back and still has room for camping gear in the trunk, let me know! 





No comments:

Post a Comment